Friday, November 7, 2014

Fevers

We've had a sick house the last couple weeks.  Two of us with fevers that wouldn't quit. 

The nurses and receptionists at the clinic we go to are starting to remember me, and at a travel clinic with expats in and out all the time they NEVER remember you.

Yesterday, day 4 of my fever, I went into the clinic and the doctor described fevers as such: Fevers back home are usually telling you something like, hey - slow down.  Rest.  Take care of yourself.   Most of the time not so serious.  Fevers in Nepal, however, can mean nasty business.

Thanks for speaking my language doctor.

And nasty business it is...maybe.  Turns out typhoid, which is what they think I might have, is a tricky bugger to culture as a definitive positive test.  It's sitting down in the lab still growing.  But it's no good to just sit and wait for some bacteria to grow on a petri dish before doing something about it, so treatment it is.  Daily trips to the clinic for at least 4 days for IV antibiotics.

The good news is, I'm feeling better (as demonstrated by my ability to put together a coherent blog post)!  Fingers crossed (on those freshly washed hands) to better health!


1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is Rebecca malloy, and I'll be traveling to nepal, hopefully with a friend or two in March for a trip with no time limit, and I was wondering if there was anyway you could talk to me about the costs of living and renting/hotels. I'm literally showing up with a suitcase in tow with no clue or plans. Rebecca.malloy1996@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete